Staples - local food:
- Organic Spelt bread or baked product from spelt - apple crisp, squash bars, etc.
- Butter (stilling weighing the saturated fat consumption vs the shipping and processing costs of Olive Oil)
- Milk (Raw, of course!) and homemade dairy products from the milk (yogurt, ricotta cheese, I want to try mozzarella too)
- Eggs (organic only)
- Meat (Rick won't eat organic - but its local and field raised!)
- All kinds of Vegetables from the garden (organic) or local Farmers market (not org) -all kinds
- Frozen fruit veges from the summer harvest (Raspberries!)
- Apples! Pears! (not organic)
- Cider (not organic)
- Local Honey
- Local walnuts and hickory nuts. (stupid me... I have hickory nuts in my yard!)
OFF the Food list - forever?
- Citrus Fruits
- Boxed Cereal
- Packaged and processed anything (although Rick likes his Ritz Crackers)
- Fast Food!!! ARGH. (although Rick keeps threatening to stop at Burger King)
- Clif bars! (I'm gonna miss them and may treat myself on occassion when I'm dying on a bike ride or something)
- Olive Oil
- Sugar (although I don't think Hubby can live without it).
Converting from bought to garden next year:
- Beans! All kinds
- Potatoes (although I can get them local fairly easily, but they aren't organic)
- Oatmeal (may be able to find in PA)
- Pasta (I might try making my own with Spelt flour)
- Quinoa (have grown to love this, but its only grown in South America)
- Flax Seeds (may be able to find in PA)
- Baking Powder/Soda; Yeast
- Coffee (free trade organic only)
BUT - I gained 5 pounds in the past month! Rick is quick to blame the raw whole milk, I'm quick to blame the food I'm preparing and won't let it go to waste and end up eating to many calories. So I have to work on that... but I believe some bad eating habits have been broken. Thank you Eat Local Challenge!