The Backyard

The Backyard

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Chicken Trucks - A Tear Every Time

When I first gave up meat several years ago, it was for many reasons, one of them being the way I felt every time I got behind a chicken transport truck. My heart starts pounding and tears come to my eyes. My husband call me a bleeding-heart liberal and today was no different than any of the other 100 times I came upon a truckload of chickens. I say I'll eat organic meat if push comes to shove, but I'm not sure I can because the images of beakless, caged birds comes to mind and I can't bear to support that industry. My neighbors have Rhode Island Reds, and when we first moved into our house, the chickens would come visit. They'd scratch, dig, chase bugs and one even laid an egg under my porch. My cats would watch with curiosity. I never owned a chicken, but hope to someday...I read they are social and can make lovely pets. My goal would be the organic eggs, although they are easily obtainable these days thanks to the organic movement. No egg enters my house without "CAGE FREE" on the container. So my heart still bleeds for caged birds in trucks heading to slaughter - I guess it always will. And I'll continue my liberal stance on not supporting the chicken farm industry, unless cage free and organic of course. From the PETA Website:






1 comment:

Princess said...

Hmm interesting post. I never thought of it that way before. Thanks for sharing your photos. Glad to see your blog.