The Backyard

The Backyard

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Certified Organic Means the Seeds and Seedlings Too

My husband and I were discussing what warrants "Certified Organic." Does it mean the way you grow the vegetable or fruit or does it mean organic from seed and seedlings also. While combing catalogs and websites for spring plantings, I found the Pennsylvania Organic and standards . The short answer is YES; your seeds and seedlings must be certified organic if your intent is to be a certified organic commercial grower and seller of organic products. But read the above link for more details on non-organic acceptance of seedlings/seeds. The difficulty I'm having is finding certified organic, sweet spanish onion seedlings. No other variety, no seeds -- seedlings and organic and they must be sweet spanish to make my dear mother happy. I'm simply not finding them...so please share if you know a source. In the meantime, I may get non-organic seedlings because onions are the BEST produce to purchase for the least amount of pesticides on them. And they certainly will be raised organically.

No comments: