The Backyard

The Backyard

Friday, June 6, 2008

Would you Believe Organic Sneakers?

Here's a short diversion from the gardens for a moment. I came across this website, entitled The Organic Athlete while looking for running shoe reviews. The Website is interesting enough, but organic sneakers? How cool is that?! I knew there were "eco-friendly" shoes of all sorts, but my naive brain always believed that it simply meant no animal products went into making the shoe - which is quite common in sneakers since leather isn't the best of materials for a running shoe. Eco-friendly also means the process in which it was made -- less petroleum and carbon use mainly. So the Brooks Cascadia gets top honors for an "organic shoe." Funky looking, but good for the environment.

1 comment:

DailySAHM said...

I really like Organic Athlete... they started a chapter in Philly and I considered joining, but their kits say "Go Vegan" on them, which I didn't think was appropriate for me to wear since I do eat dairy. So Mountainside it was. I wear vegan Earth shoes, but didn't think about how they are made. But your post has made ponder it, so now I shall look into it. Thanks!