The Backyard

The Backyard

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Famous Eggs

Every morning and evening, our route to and from work in Harrisburg takes us along Route 25 from Millersburg to Gratz -- a rural, farming area that has remained agriculture through the years (thank god!) thanks to the Amish and caring farmers. Natural Acres occupies about 300 acres along route 25, and every night I get real excited when I see the chickens doing their thang -- flopping, scratching, pecking, chasing the cows, and generally enjoying their 6 or so hours of sunshine and fresh air every day. Natural Acres is an Organic Farm, and their flock of chickens produce the organic eggs I've been eating for a couple years now. Imagine how elated I was when I saw the sign "WATCH OUR CHICKENS ON OPRAH ON TUESDAY." What?! Sure enough, Oprah featured a show about Proposition 2 -- a referendum on the California Ballot to require farms to house their animals in larger cages. Like Oprah does so well, she gave both sides of the animal production story. She showed free range, grass fed animals, and she showed factory farm, caged animals. And the free range chickens were -- you guessed it -- the Natural Acres Egg laying chickens. It was SO cool seeing Ivan and his flock hit it big time. Tonight, Rick thought I was going to jump out of the car when I saw Ivan walking toward the barn and about 200 chickens were following him like dogs. It was an awesome sight. I SO want chickens! Please buy organic, local eggs.

No comments: