The Backyard

The Backyard

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Proud Parent of Mr. Pickles



I'm pleased to introduce to you, Mr. Pickles. Mr. Pickles comes to me as a Christmas gift, complete with adoption papers, pictures and his story. He comes from The Farm Sanctuary, an organization that rescues animals from being victims of agricultural production or exploitation. In many cases, the animals are left on the "dead piles" outside farm factories, and caring folks save them. Mr. Pickles story is he and 48 of his friends would be dyed every imaginable color and sold at Easter in Brooklyn, New York, even though chicks are illegal to sell in New York. He now lives dye-free (he molted away his dyed feathers) his life on a farm with his friends, scratching, foraging, and pecking in the barnyard. He's very, very happy and I'd love to visit him. The farm is located in Watkins Glen, NY (just over the PA border!). Ironically, I just read an interesting blog this weekend about a gal in the UK that has pet chickens and one of them is a rescued chicken. They live in "Cluckingham Palace."

5 comments:

DailySAHM said...

What a nice gift! We've talked about visiting the Farm Sanctuary. The past 2 summers I've gone with Brent to the Finger Lakes area for his half-ironman and I always think about that place since we go right by it. If we do ever get there we'll make sure to say hello to Mr. Pickles.

Compostwoman said...

Well done you! What a wonderful gift to get...

I hope you can visit Mr Pickles ( is he a "he" btw?) and get friendly....

and thank you for the link!

I am pleased my chicken ramblings are amusing, I *do* try to amuse....

and if you lived my life, its actually a lot funnier than I blog, sometimes!

Season's greetings from Cw xx

Compostwoman said...

Oh by the way TWO of my girls are ex battery hens, Genghis the Hen and Cathy hen are both ex prison hens...I am ashamed to admit that in the UK we STILL allow hens to provide supermarkets with eggs whilst being confined to a cage where each hen has an A4 space each...all the time...for all their lives... :-((

these hens WOULD have been killed for cat meat or some such after a year or so of this misery BUT are rescued by a charity who arranges with the farmer to have them at death#s door and re home them...and that is how Cathy and Genghis became part of my madhouse flock of hens at Compost Mansions......
#
so if you can't have hens, sponsor some! like Chili has done!

PLEASE?

Chili said...

You all can't imagine how excited I am about Mr. Pickles... call me weird, but chickens can make me cry when I see the slaughter truck going. And when I got a rescued chicken as a gift? Imagine the tears. Kera - you'll have to tell me 'bout Farm santuary if you go. My boss really wants to go too (she bought the gift for me). Compostwoman -- LOVE your stories and chickens! You are tempting me to get some... or at a minimum - sponsor some! America is full of battery caged hens. Its SO sad - and the majority of the population here has no idea (or cares) what's going on in there or the pathetic lives those poor birds lead. My own husband doesn't really care about them -- he says they are food. (NOOO!!).

Anonymous said...

What a great present! It made me tear up much more than a bit reading about how so many animals just like Mr. Pickles are suffering. I can't stand to imagine it, but likely we all have to be aware and conscious in order to have a change in that. I am glad he has a chance at a better life now, and that he has someone like you looking out for him. Hugs to you.