The Backyard

The Backyard

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Still Squashing?


Believe it or not, its 3 months since I picked the last of the butternut squash before the first frost in September, and I'm still baking, mashing, pureeing, whipping, and spreading squash! I've found more ways to use squash than O'Bama found ways to get folks to vote him in for President. There ARE a lot of squash recipes out there, but I actually found more ways to use it using pumpkin recipes. Rather than pumpkin butter, I made squash butter. We've been eating squash pies nearly every weekend for 3 months. I made squash bars, pureed butternut squash soup with leeks and fennel (luscious), Squash with Pear soup (doubly luscious), mashed squash with brown sugar, cubed squash with chipolte peppers and white beans (yum), squash drop cookies, and even tried raw squash cookies but screwed them up. I baked the squash first and you were supposed to use shredded raw squash. Doh. I may try that one again. Anyway, the point I'm making here is "Waltham" variety of Butternut Squash is a very, very good keeper. I've been storing the squash at a temp of about 60 (ideal is 50) and they've been holding up quite well. I'm sure I'll be able to use up the last of them in the next month. Awesome. Rick and I both love it, so its a keeper to grow year after year. Its so much more manageable than pumpkin which takes up too much space AND what do you do with all those huge pumpkins. Butternut Squash is the ticket.

No comments: