The Backyard

The Backyard

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Early Prep - The Celery Strip


Celery will be a new experience for me. Everything I've read claims celery is "difficult -- even for the experienced gardener" to grow. But I really wanted to dry some organic celery for soups next fall/winter and not have to depend on shipped celery, so I decided I'm up for the challenge. Since its a long-season grower (100 days,PLUS a 3 month indoor growing period -- talk about fussy!) it needs a spot all of its own to do its thing. The strip next to our garage was perfect -- complete with afternoon shade to keep the soil moist for moisture loving celery. I hadn't planned on it, but the strip is ready. I love it when I make no plans, and end up getting a major project done. This was a job. First, I had to get rid of the way-too-tall-and-fat Eglantine antique rose which outgrew its space and really wasn't serving a useful purpose. It took an ax to chop enough away to level the ground. Then, I turned over the soil fairly deep, digging in horse manure to let it "cure" for the next three months. The final touch was the brick edge. Celery likes moist, rich, soil with good drainage and this should be the perfect spot for it. This type of celery, Safir Celery, is called a "cutting celery" which means it can be cut just like greens all summer. So I'm hopeful for a successful crop. If anyone ever grew it, please share your story!

1 comment:

Ally said...

How did your celery turn out? I am about to try some for the first time. I was told it needed full sun, so how did your shade work for you?