The Backyard

The Backyard

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Eating Local - a Primer

Local Harvest is an organization on-line dedicated to helping folks get in the groove of buying your food local. You can subscribe to their monthly newsletter and checkout their website here. You can also enter your zip code and find locally produced food. Rick and I found our wonderful can't-live-without Schlegel Apples grown with 80% less pesticides. We're up to buying a bushel every two weeks and eat every single one of them. But the real reason for this post and Local Harvest is their latest newsletter. It really hit the head of the nail for me. I initially found buying local daunting -- there's SO much I've grown accustomed to eating that I found it difficult at first to adjust to just local food. And that's the point of the article. You can't expect to eat everything local -- it takes time. And no matter what you do locally, you're one step ahead. Great read. Check it out.

No comments: