The Backyard

The Backyard

Friday, April 10, 2009

400 Stuttgarters - Let the Spring Planting Continue

I'm forever grateful to my boss for allowing me to take the 3rd Friday in a row off to plant, plant, and plant some more. Thursday evening was about as pretty as it gets -- 65, sunny, dry, and a big box of even more stuff to plant was waiting for me -- the 100 strawberry plants and 2 blueberry bushes I ordered (my onions and potatoes came on Monday). What perfect timing being off on Friday. Taking advantage of the beautiful evening, the Stuttgarter onion sets went in the ground as did the broccoli. Broccoli can take a light frost and they got their first icy christening this morning. Planning on some rain, I got up early and was planting the strawberries and blueberries at daybreak. I hadn't expected it to take two hours -- even with well prepped soil (I just dug out a bunch of rhubarb which grows fairly deep - so the ground was very well dug). But again the timing was perfect as the rains started just as I finished up around 9:00 am. But it only rained a short time and I was back out prepping the tater patch.

No comments: