The Backyard

The Backyard

Monday, April 6, 2009

Spring is Popping Up Everywhere

All it takes is a good soaking rain, sunshine afterwards, and temps in the 60's and there's no stopping spurts of growth all over the place. Herbs, perenniels, weeds, and of course all the seeds I planted have sprouted -- lettuce, spinach, radishes, turnips, carrots, beets, kale and greens. And on the doorstep when I got home were the heirloom onions and potatoes, but they'll have to wait a week or so until I get some time to plant. The potatoes surprised me. Since this is my first experience at growing potatoes, I expected tiny little potato "sets", like onion sets. Instead, there's full size potatoes in the bag, and only about 5 of them. Say what? I paid good money for something that looks like a potato I get at the grocery store? My dear hubby had to set me straight on the potato growing education. "Honey, you have to let them sit in the warmth and let them sprout, then you cut the potato into a couple pieces and plant the pieces." Geez, thanks hubby -- I didn't know you were a potato grower in another life. "Yup, me and the Irish." What a jokester. So the next couple weeks will be busy. My wonderful boss was already forwarned about the need for a day for planting - it might be next Monday since Easter Sunday will be a little busy with family stuff.

No comments: