The Backyard

The Backyard

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Growing Sweet Cicely



This herb is a bit uncommon and not often grown, but since my first seedling, I've been grateful for its uniqueness. Most of the herbs in my gardens were planted years ago for aesthetics and I've learned through the years - many by accident - what their uses are; opposite of why most folks plant herbs (to cook!). In my opinion, herbs are eye-appealing plants with varied leaf color, texture, and sizes, and are attractive landscape plants to add variety to your garden (think lavender). Sweet Cicely is one of them. It's fern like foliage grows to about 3 feet tall and gets beautiful white flowers with attractive seed pods following the bloom period. The scent is licorice-like. Given the right conditions, the seeds will reseed nicely and spread.. and spread... and spread. There are few plants/herbs that thrive in shade. Mint is quite common for damp shady areas, but Sweet Cicely is also an option, which is why I planted it in the first place. It actually took the place of the mint that was way too overpowering and consumed the entire space within a year. These shady plants are grown on the north side of my house in very moist mushroom soil and the sun never shines there. The plants thrives. So much so, it's starting to slowly creep along the back of the house and fill in the entire area. If anyone would like some seeds - I'd be happy to share. The plant also has numerous medical uses and yes, it can be eaten, although I've never eaten or used it medicinally. Its all about looks and ground cover for me, and Sweet Cicely fits the bill perfectly.

No comments: