The Backyard

The Backyard

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hubby - the Caged Chicken Eater

When your beliefs, opinions, and practices day in and day out, are part of a marriage, sometimes (and ONLY sometimes), the couple become one -- you have the same thoughts, ideas, and activities. After 20 years of blissful togetherness, hubby and I do in fact have many likenesses -- but not when it comes to food and prices of organic food. I love my hubby dearly and for the most part, we do the same things, but he continues to buy "cheap" chicken. There, I said it. I can't hide it any more and I'm sort of embarrassed with my preaching about saving the caged birds from a life of misery. One half of our union doesn't care too much about the environment, nor the bird itself. Last week, I brought home some beautiful organic, free range chicken breasts mainly for him, but I was thinking about eating some of it myself (I haven't eaten chicken in probably about two years and this is the first time I found semi-affordable organic/free range/local birds). And what's worse, being the good wife I sometimes am, I bagged up and froze the meat this morning for him - which is what prompted this post. It really hurt putting those birds in a bag. Visions of beakless cacklers crammed in a too-small cages ran through my head. Then after that miserable short life (I think I read broilers are raised for 9 months which is a blessing after being injected with antiobiotics and not being able to move), they are literally thrown in crate and hauled off for slaughter in an industrial complex somewhere. Maybe in China. Or maybe in Oklahoma somewhere, then flown to China to be cut up and packaged, then shipped back to the states to land on the Giant shelves prepackaged for $1.79 a pound. Yes, its that $1.79 that is the driving force to hubby buying this chicken - as is the average American and why the organic movement can't break into the average buyer. I can't convince in him no how, no way, that organic chicken is worth the price. I found local, organic, free-range whole birds for $2.50/lb, but what did he do? He bought the packaged, high-cost-to-the-environment $1.79 meat. I really do love him, but this hurts -- and I don't think he minds too much. Geeeeezzzz. It's all a practice in tolerance and patience -- it's all a test!

No comments: