The Backyard

The Backyard

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Rachel, Isaac and Toby

Our valley -- Lykens Valley, Central Pennsylvania -- is blessed with a plethora of Amish Farms who have been hanging out more and more signs of goods for sale: baked goods, produce, and my favorite - free-range brown eggs. My newest shopping experience took me to the home of Rachel, Isaac, and Toby. Isaac is about 8, and was weed eating with his barn mucking boots on and when I asked if they have eggs, he said, "they're in the milk house... she'll get 'em for you." She, was Rachel. A gal of about 10 with glasses. She got the eggs, and I didn't have change, so I gave her $3.00 and told her to keep the change (they were $1.25 a dozen). She said thank you, and something I never had happen before with the Amish was this, she asked my name! They are usually pretty quiet and take the money and go. I was pleasantly surprised. So I returned the honor and ask her name, and her brother's, and of course, the always-present in every Amish household, the family dog, Toby. It was a pleasant experience and when pulled out of the drive way, I thought how absolutely beautiful it is to get fresh food directly from the source -- seeing the animals running freely and grazing in the pastures. If only everyone could experience it, and more importantly, appreciate and understand it. I guess I'm just a farmer/country girl at heart. Although I DO know some city people that truly appreciate old-fashion, natural farming too.

No comments: