The Backyard

The Backyard

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Getting Ready for Fall and Winter Planting

My fall garden class starts on Tuesday and I have to admit I'm pretty darned excited about it. Imagine...fresh greens all winter?! It sounds too good to be true, but we'll certainly see in the next couple months. Part of the fall garden prep is picking the location, and readying the soil. I have two spots picked out and I'm not sure which will be better so I'm adding compost to both. One of the spots is in the garden where the peas were located -- nice and sunny, but unprotected from winter's harshness (although I'll have cold frames). The other is on a south-facing brick wall in the front of the house which will block all wind and cold air all winter. I think I'll put a cold frame in both pots, and put the more tender plants that need a little more warmth in the front of the house, and the hardier plants in the garden. I'll definitely need both with what I plan to grow over the winter -- carrots, greens (many), radishes, leeks, radicchio, spinach and Asian greens. It'll be a full house, for sure.

No comments: