The Backyard

The Backyard

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Learning to Pressure Can

Thanks to PASA (PA Association of Sustained Agriculture) and their newsletters of upcoming events, I learned about a canning class in Carlisle, PA -- about an hour from home. The Kitchen Shoppe is hosting the event and it appears they have numerous "cooking classes" of all types, both hands on and demonstration. Cool stuff. I know how to water bath can (all I've ever known) and dehydrate, but they are going to also address pressure canning of which I'm sorta interested in... but haven't decided for sure I want to drop the $$ for a pressure canner. Maybe this class will help me decide. Two of my friends wanted to learn to can, so Donna is going along (of course we are riding bike too! Yeh!), and I'm not sure about the other yet. It's a hands-on class and we'll take home 4 pints of a canned food. I'm taking tomatoes 'cause they will be in full production mode by August 22. I thought about hot peppers too 'cause I have a new variety of hot pepper growing that is delightful -- not quite as hot as a jalapeno -- but just enough bite to pep dishes up a bit. I forget the variety, I have to look it up. But these guys would be good to can rather than freeze -- I'm tired of freezing things.

No comments: