The Backyard

The Backyard

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Safir Cutting Celery - What to Do With It Once it Grows

This year is my first try at cutting celery, a.k.a leaf celery. I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but I read that cutting celery can be dried and used in soups and stews in the winter. I could find very little on what to do with it once I got it to grow. So today I went on an all out search on cutting celery and found it to be an easy task for drying. Cutting Celery is similar to the herb Lovage, and in the carrot and parsley family. It actually resembles parsley when fully developed. At first, I thought you dried the stalks, but they are spindly and tasteless. I've since found out you dry the leaves, just like parsley. And its used just like parsely in soups/stews. Rather than traditional celery stalks, you throw in the dried leaves for the flavoring. Did I mention the flavor is incredible? Even more so that stalk celery. I'm hooked, and will be drying jars of it. It was a worthwhile seed start, indeed. The variety I grew was "Safir" from Fedco Seeds.

No comments: