The Backyard

The Backyard

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Clean Food and Skinny Bitch in the Kitch Book Reviews

My extremely thoughtful boss got me not one, but two vegan cookbooks for my birthday. The first is Clean Food by Terry Walters. It's laid out like my favorite cookbook, Simply in Season, by the season so you know what to eat by what's growing in Spring, Summer, Fall, or even Winter. Not sure what make with your bumper crop of spinach? Open the index to Spinach, and you'll have a list of recipes to choose from. I love a cookbook not only indexed by the type of food, but by season. Cooking in season, having a full-course organic garden in the backyard (and preserved organic food from the backyard for the winter!), and being a 90% vegan makes this a perfect gift. The other cookbook is Skinny Bitch in the Kitch. This book is part of a series of Skinny Bitch books written by two whimsical writers who just so happen to have been models. The original best seller, Skinny Bitch, basically exposes the food industry and what you eat -- nothing new there. They go on to talk about the benefits of vegan eating which is what Skinny Bitch in the Kitch is all about. Some of the recipes are little long, but the shorter ones make up for them. Word to the wise, don't get it if you have something against cussing. These girls LOVE to cuss (thus, the title?!) and I find it amusing and adds interest to the book. I can't wait to read Skinny Bitch -- my boss promised she'd share hers with me when she's done. She too says she is about to go vegan after reading about all the crap out there people are consuming (and getting fat in the process). I must say, I now think of eating corn every time I see doughnuts, or tasty cakes, or any other processed food with high fructose corn syrup. Thank god for Erik Schlosser and Michael Pollan, and now, the Skinny Bitch girls.

No comments: