The Backyard

The Backyard

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Using Organic Coconut Oil for Cooking (Frying)


I know, I know, it certainly isn't local, is it?! But neither is olive oil, nor any of the other plant-based "good" oils used in cooking. My food focus this year is healthy, organic vegan (90%), thus, no butters used in cooking. But what oils to use? There's so much hype about olive and canola oil - oils in general - you don't know what to believe anymore. I've used olive oil for many years, and recently I'm finding it's not all its cracked up to be when it comes to the heating process. Many oils are broken down during heating and lose their beneficial properties and nutrition. Here's an excellent article on cooking oils from the Best Natural Foods website. My latest cookbook, Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, uses coconut oil nearly exclusively in everything. They believe olive oil is bad for your health as does Dr. Joel Furhman of Eat to Live. I think olive and flax oils are just fine -- when not heated. But for cooking and frying? Enter organic coconut oil. I thought I'd give the Skinny Bitch's recommendation a try and pick up some organic coconut oil -- direct from Fiji. (No, I didn't GO to Fiji.) OMG. I can't stop frying things in it. First, I made a broccoli stir-fry which turned out heavenly. The smell of coconut oil cooking is delightful, not be mention the hint of coconut flavoring in the food - yummy (if you like coconut). Next, was toasted sliced almonds. OMG (again!). Very, very tasty almonds with a hint of coconut flavor. I believe the bitches might know what they are talking about on this one. I'm hooked on coconut oil for frying and cooking and would recommend it to anyone. Remember though, it needs to be organic and cold-pressed. Here's a site with some good prices. Here's another good article on the benefits of organic coconut oil.

No comments: