The Backyard

The Backyard

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

You Gotta Know Where Your Chicken Comes From

Hubby and I get into chicken arguments ALL the time -- he prefers the cheap chicken wrapped in plastic and styrofoam containers (for him, it's all about the mighty dollar!) while I will only buy the organic and free range birds from local farmers (and I buy very little because of hubby complaining about me spending too much money!). Maybe today's article from Rodale, Supermarket chickens Tainted With Bacteria, will finally make him see the light. Rick has been a huge fan of Perdue chicken for many years, and even their chickens tested 56% tainted. That's a significant percentage of contamination. Tyson, one of the largest chicken producers, had 80% tainted. The article goes on to mention this bacteria is killed during cooking, but can still be transmitted during the preparation process. All the more reason to BUY ORGANIC and/or from your local farmer. Or, don't eat meat! I'll opt for the later.

1 comment:

The Wiser Weiser said...

I DO I DO I DO---and i'm eating one right now!!! ;)