The Backyard

The Backyard

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Broccoli Seed Starting #2


Lesson learned: don't forget about your seeds after you start them or they'll get leggy and start laying over. The same legginess can occur if you don't have plant lights. Right now, my 72 broccoli plants are growing beautifully, but laying over with the weight of every new leaf. In another two weeks, they will be a matted mess that will be difficult to separate when planting time comes. What to do? Absolutely nothing at this point in time. This flat is going to be headed to the garden a little early this year. I'll take a chance letting them in the flat too long to become more tangled, and I'll take a chance planting them a little too soon and a freeze may get them, so in the garden they will go - possibly next weekend. Yes, broccoli can withstand frosts and even a mild freeze or two. These young babies will be planted very deeply to get the stems strong again. They'll go in the ground almost to the leaves. And if these guys pull through and make it, I'll REALLY be over run in broccoli because I just started a second flat of 72 because I was worried about this first flat not making it. I had an extra pack of seeds from two years ago I thought I'd try. If they sprout and grow, I think I may be selling some broccoli this spring.

No comments: