The Backyard

The Backyard

Thursday, October 27, 2011

"I like when they dye their hair grey."

My new-found local bargain store is called Hoover's Discount Grocery on St. Johns Road, outside of Berrysburg, Pennsylvania.   They sell bulk quantities, expired or near-expired products, and seconds.  Yes, the prices are incredible on some of their products.  It's run by Amish and the majority of shoppers are Amish.  Today, it was pretty full of Amish shoppers.  Standing in the narrow aisle checking out the black beans with barely butt room between me and the elder Amish man pushing the cart that his wife was filling, I hear in a bold voice, "I like when they dye their hair grey."  I couldn't help my big grin when I turned to answer, "I like it too!"  And he says, "so does my wife."   It made my week, month, and year.  What a classic line!  I'll never forget the moment. (In case you don't know me, I'm very grey and never dyed my hair -- we joke I paid a lot of money to have my hair streaked grey!).

2 comments:

The Wiser Weiser said...

Were they talking about your hair??

Chili said...

Yup! Mr. Amish man was a jokester and he was smirking when he said it. Of course the true meaning of his comment was that he likes that I left my hair go grey. Both him and his wife were grey. It was awesome! I can imagine his thoughts when he sees the pink heads.