The Backyard

The Backyard

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Making Crackers on a Cold Winter Day

My mother loves crackers.  As she looked for her favorite on the shelf, I balked at the ingredient list of every cracker box I picked up.  The preservatives and unpronounceable ingredient list is way too long on nearly all of them.  Hubby sort of snickered when I said I'm going to try to make my own.  After looking at a couple recipes, it seemed too easy.  And it was!   Even Maria Rodale comments on the ease of making crackers.  My first attempt was a great success and cracker-making has just been added to my repertoire of cost savings and healthy (healthier than processed) creations.   I chose a recipe using sesame seeds because I have a supply of seeds that need used.  Below is my version of an eggless Whole Wheat Sesame cracker recipe I found via the Web.  This can be altered with countless additions.  Next time, I'll add more salt which hubby said they lacked. I may throw in rosemary also.   When my sesame seeds run out, I'll try flax seeds.  Hubby so kindly obeyed when I asked him to hide them from me.  They'd be gone by now.   Very, very tasty minus the unpronounceable ingredients -- and guaranteed easy!

1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup black sesame seeds (can also use flax seed)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
Cayenne Pepper to taste
1/4 cup coconut oil
8 to 9 tablespoons Water

Mix the dry ingredients thoroughly.  Add the oil and mix until crumbly (like pie dough).  Add a tablespoon at a time of water and mix after each until dough stays together enough to form into a ball. I used 7 tablespoons, but could have used 8 I think.  Separate half the dough and roll as thin as you can.  Cut in cracker size pieces put on cookie sheets.  Do the same with the 2nd dough ball.  Bake in 350 oven for 10-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the crackers.  You'll find the thin crackers from the edge of the dough will brown much quicker and will need taken out first.  The remainder will take a little longer.    Enjoy! 

1 comment:

Mary Smith said...

I have been thinking about making crackers lately. Thanks for the recipe!