The Backyard

The Backyard

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Bring on the Heirloom Tomatoes


It's time.... the heirlooms are starting to ripen and I'm licking my lips with delight.  I noticed some blossom end rot on a couple of the plants, so when the fruit starts showing shades of pink, I've been picking to avoid a damaged fruit later on, unless I see it's perfect, then I'll let it hang.  I enjoy being surprised with my mix of heirlooms and this year is no different.  Part of the fun is identifying the heirloom.  I'm cheating a little since I grew this mix in years past and know what's in there.  So far, I see the Peach tomato, Black Krim, Fox Cherry, Amish Paste, Brandywine, Roman Stripe.  I have some difficulty identifying the huge brandywine-ish pink tomatoes.  I'll work on those.  All in all, so far a great year for the heirlooms. 

1 comment:

Bek said...

I'm so jealous! Over here I'm just about to start sowing tomato seeds, and I hope my tomatoes end up looking as good as yours.