The Backyard

The Backyard

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Yet Another Top-Rated Organic Seed Company

There must be a gazillion seed company and catalogs out there - most to my dismay being supplied by the chemical/genetically modified seed giant, Monsanto. Did you know Monsanto owns 60% of all seed suppliers? Very, scary thought where our society is going with regard to agriculture. Monsanto is an opinion I'll save for another post... While reading my latest and greatest book, Animal, Vegetable, Mircale by Barbara Kingsolver, she mentioned an organic seed co-op that flat out refuses to sell anything remotely sourced from Monsanto. Of course they are now my new favorite seed supplier -- FEDCO Organic Suppliers. If you read about them, you'll find them located in the Northeast, all out organic, and the part I like is their seeds are afforable, sold in smaller quantities, and they have a huge variety. But the even better part is their stance on Monsanto. Its a MUST READ. This link tells you everything you ever wanted to know about genetic modification to seeds and why should avoid them like the plague. Trust me, once you read this, you'll read every label of every product you ever purchase again. But to save time reading, just buy ORGANIC! My order is in with FEDCO - probably a lot more than I can handle now that I have to be putting more saddle time in for a couple long bike races this summer - but I simply couldn't resist the tempatation to try an "heirloom tomato" sample. It sounded too good.




No comments: