The Backyard

The Backyard

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Organic Coffee - Best Buy at Trader Joes


My $50 gift card for Trader Joe's was burning a hole in my pocket and today I finally made the trek to Media to check things out. My neice and my boss have been raving about this place for months and that I'd luv shopping there (all things organic and natural...although read on for my observations). My list was long, and about half of those things made it to the cart, with Organic Coffee winning the best buy prize. They had many varieties of Organic Coffee -- Sumatra, Peruvian and a Trader Joe's Breakfast blend. All Fair Trade, shade grown and organic. 4 varieties are chilling in the freezer. But the best part was the price. None were more than $7.99 per 14 oz and even a full pound for the one variety. Now the observations; all things are NOT organic there. Yes, they have more choices of organics than most store (except Whole Foods of course), but its not totally organic and you DO have to read the labels carefully. AND some of the prices of products weren't always a good buy. Yes, the majority was, but some were not such as raw almonds. One unique, affordable item I found was Wild dried Blueberries. That was the first time I saw dried blueberries for purchase. So will I go back? Absolutely for the coffee for sure; and next time I'll take a cooler to tote home some rare, "healthy" fish.

No comments: