The Backyard

The Backyard

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Kids are Growing Up

Just 3 weeks ago, the kids were toddlers:
And today they are about to embark on their own:

The maters, basil, and peppers were set out this morning to harden off. Hardening off is setting the seedlings in a protected area out of the weather, to allow them to adjust to the varied temperatures and conditions of the outside world - the garden. For the past 6 weeks, they were toasty warm under lights in peacefulness. They are now being subjected to the elements in prep for their planting in about two weeks. That's actually a little early, but they are growing out of their clothes and need new -- the ground.

1 comment:

DailySAHM said...

I finally started my herb seeds about 4 days ago. I had to re-pot my tomato, pepper, and cabbage seedlings as they outgrew their germination pots. I'm anxiously awaiting my shell peas to poke through the garden soil... that's the first thing I planted in my brand-spankin' new "square foot garden."

The asparagus looks good, I'll have to try that next year.