The Backyard

The Backyard

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Its Now a Game - How to Conserve the Most Gas

My hubby's been experimenting the last couple weeks with how to get the absolute best gas mileage. This isn't anything new, and I've seen recent articles and posts from other blogs on fuel economy tips, but you read it, and many times say yeh, yeh, we know. Now that it costs over $50 to fill up the tank, Rick decided to put a fuel economy tip to the test. We are commuters, traveling about 100 miles a day to and from work. On weekends, our kayak and bike trips usually take us another 200 or so miles away, sometimes more. When we bought our VW diesel, the fuel was cheaper than gas, and of course it gets much better gas mileage than most vehicles, but that's changed drastically in the past 3 years with quickly increasing gas costs. Rick figures we'd need a gas-consuming car that gets about 37mpg to equal the VW's 47 mpg based on $4.39 per gal of diesel fuel vs $3.65 gas cost per gallon. Mr. Brown is now in the midst of a game. Its called, HOW SLOW CAN WE DRIVE TO GET THE BEST GAS MILEAGE. Its almost embarrassingly slow based on most driver's standards. Cars are zipping by us like we are standing still. I neared peed my pants laughing this morning when I had a string of traffic behind me and when they finally had the chance to pass, I got glares like I was a 90 year old driver. And guess what -- the joke is on THEM! We filled up last night, and Rick figures we INCREASED OUR GAS MILEAGE BY OVER 10%. We went from 47mpg to 52 mpg by keeping the highway speed between 55 and 60. Never more than 60mph. I'm going to get a bumper sticker made: "WE SAVE A GALLON PER FILL-UP BY GOING THIS SPEED." or another one..."55mph = $5.00 less per fill-up." or maybe "WANNA SAVE GAS COSTS? DRIVE MY SPEED." Rick said if everyone would do that, imagine the HUGE amounts of gas and costs that would be saved. It would likele be billions. So SLOW DOWN!!!! Its money in your pocket.

4 comments:

Sue Anne said...

My hybrid gave me 52.5 mpg gallon yesterday as I whipped around PA country roads!

DailySAHM said...

To me this is all very normal things that we should all be doing. To my husband it's craziness and he finds me very annoying at times because I am pushing "green" on him. Can I come live with you?

Chili said...

Yes, it IS all normal. We drove 60 all the way to Fredericksburg Virginia this weekend and it was absolutely amazing how people were screaming by us. I said to Rick, everyone bitches and moans about gas prices, yet look at their driving. They have no idea, do they.

Roberta said...

You are so right about slowing down. I am stuck with my SUV for a while longer and I am trying to make the best of it. I slowed down to 55-60 on the highway and even slower on other roads and I have increased my mpg by 5! My jeep has a mpg calculator in the dash and I have been going by that. Yes, people sure do look at you like you are doing something wrong by going that slow. I like the bumper sticker ideas alot!