The Backyard

The Backyard

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

But why should we buy Organic?

That's a question that was posed to me this past weekend... "what makes organic produce better. Why should I buy it?" Of course there's the obvious reasons that I mentioned...the reduction of chemical and pesticide use. But the part that really sold the inquirer was my comment on nutrient and mineral depletion in the soil from chemical use/abuse/bad farming practices; thus nutrient and mineral depletion in the produce. The person asking was an earth science teacher, and he totally understood what I was talking about and he now "gets" the organic movement. I think we have another believer. It got me thinking about the stores... maybe they should have some sort of educational brochure on why buy organic? Oh that's right, it makes it look bad for the non-organic; kinda of like the milk labeling issue that's been going on.

No comments: