The Backyard

The Backyard

Friday, July 25, 2008

If I Were a Vegetarian...

Well, I was vegetarian, and I try to be now, but sometimes there are animal-products we can't avoid. If you've been reading my link to "Healthy Chili" you read about my bike accident in June and the fate of two front teeth. Next week I start the process of getting implants in place of those two teeth which begins with extracting the remaining roots and chips of those teeth, then bone grafting is done in preparation for the implants in a couple months. I never thought much about the bone grafting until my boss says, "what kind of bone are they using?" What?! They use bone from something other than me?! Shit.. Now it gets freaky and if I was still a die-hard vegetarian leaning toward vegan ways, I'd be having a shit-fit and would opt for false teeth. My periodontist does NOT use bone from my own jaw, he uses cadaver bone (yes there are human bone banks!) or bovine! Cow bones in my teeth! YUK! They actually have better luck with bovine in getting the human bone tissue to grow. I did NOT want to know I might be getting cow bone in my mouth. If I was vegan, I'd have Polident ready and waiting. This is one of those things I simply can't think about.

No comments: