The Backyard

The Backyard

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Summer Romance

Growing season starts to get out of hand this time of year -- constant mowing of grassing, forever pulling weeds, and if you aren't careful, some of the plants just love growing as big as they can and before you know it, you're chopping them off. I had the pleasure last weekend of cutting off and pulling out several vines and plants that simply outgrew their britches. The candidates that got haircuts include the butternut squash vines which decided to completely consume my rose garden, leaving not even a path to walk through. The milkweed tends to grow IN the brick walkway rather than next to it (by the way, I grow milkweed as a perenniel directly in my front yard just for the monarch butterflies). And the tomatoes! I have 10 plants that are hanging thick with green fruit that when they start ripening, I'll be canning for a week which is exactly what I decided to do -- take a week's vacation in September to can tomatoes. Oh...almost forgot the zuchinni which consumed two pepper plants (but I had 14 other pepper plants to take their place -- no love loss there!). And Rick's not to fond of the Wisteria which sends out shoots that attache themselves nicely to the gingerbread work on the porch AND up UNDER the siding. But the bees LOVE the blooms in the spring, so the vine is here to stay. Lots more posts coming: plant feature - HOPS and I want to talk a little more about the milkweed as a perenniel.

No comments: