The Backyard

The Backyard

Friday, January 23, 2009

Affording to Go Green and Be More Organic

There's no doubt it's expensive to be green and buy organic products - a geothermal heating system will set you back $50,000 - the average price of an organic t-shirt is $35.00, and you say you want organic chicken? Be prepared to lay out about $7.00 a pound depending on where you buy it. I noticed Earthbound organic green salad mix is up to $5.99 a pound (wow!). My dear husband has been griping about me laying out money on these things for years, but I keep fighting him and continue to purchase. Well, maybe I'm NOT really buying $50,000 heat systems, but there are some things I can't go without like my beloved $7.00 a pound coffee that's helping to save the neotropical migratory birds. Most advocates tell the same story - you gotta pay the price so it will eventually come down and I've always believed that, and have seen some price relief the past few years -- mainly at the grocery store (believe it or not). I think its timely that my work's newsletter has a wonderful story - Going Green and Making Green, Educating Consumer for a New Industry, about a Pennsylvania company selling green products and part of his marketing effort is educating consumers on the importance of buying green. I'm guessing most of you read my post by now on Knowing Your Cotton so I can relate to the importance of educating consumers (the cotton was interesting to me too - thus why I shared it with you!). His on-line company, Exclusively Green, LLC, promotes only green products. He researches each products he sells to assure the manufacturing process is truly green. What an awesome website! And since he's kinda of local here in Pennsylvania, I may have to check him out. I'm really not too green when I buy my trash bags -- maybe that will now change, thanks to Exclusively Green.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have often heard the same that the more demand there is for the product, and the more that the "starter" group is willing to pay for it at first to make companies find it worthwhile, the greater chance that the price will come down. But I also think that societal attitudes have a lot to do with it. When something is "trendy" companies will try to push the product themselves by offering discounts, showing they are "up" on the trend, etc. as a way to market and gain publicity in the press as a conscious company. I guess it is a cycle.