The Backyard

The Backyard

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Mr. Pickles Adoption Papers and His Friend, Betty

More tears for chickens - why do I react that way when I see the hell factory animals are put through - mainly chickens? I received my adoption papers on Mr. Pickles, a glossy photo, and info on Farm Sanctuary. If you haven't been following, my wonderful boss adopted a rescue chicken, Mr. Pickles, for me as a Christmas gift -- I'm still ecstatic over it. In the info I received for Farm Sancutary, was a story and picture about Betty. Tears started running down my face as soon as I saw her. She's a rescued battery caged, egg laying hen. (If you are unfamiliar with factory farming egg layers, please, please, please read this and never buy "cheap" eggs again!) She has no beak -- that's where the tears started. I knew about the debeaking for many years (thus, I haven't eaten chicken since I first learned about the torture reading Fast Food Nation), but it hit home when I saw this beautiful, happy bird - without a beak. They say she's doing fine and is eating well, but its SO sad to see. I think part of the reason it hurts so much is because I live in the middle of battery-caged egg country. About a mile from my home, are 11 HUGE chicken buildings, and while I've never been inside, my husband has and its stuffed with caged birds. And I'm helpless! There's absolutely nothing I can do for them. The company that uses the eggs is a huge agribusiness - Michael Foods. Local grocery stores sell the eggs with "Local Hegins Valley Eggs" on the carton! Now there's a reason NOT to buy local! Please, only buy cage-free eggs, (or don't eat eggs and chicken?). Maybe there should be some "real" pictures on the egg cartons -- caged, debeaked birds - not "local" eggs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cry too, especially when I read/see pictures of cows in the huge dairy farms that have such a cramped, painful life in their corrals all day/night. What they go through, just as a tool to bring milk to the consumers. I can't stand it, which makes me more eager than ever to support our local farmers and their small dairy operations that lets the animals live good lives.
The frustration - I share it, and feel it so often. And there is so much conflicting info out there! As you said, a local producer is adding to the harm. And that's painful. Is there a small egg farmer near you, or only the big ones? We have a huge dairy operation just about 40 miles or so from me, but I cringe to think what the operations might be like (though I don't know for sure). So I turn to the small local farmers, with a small group of cows and good treatment I can be sure of. I hope you have something like that - I feel your pain.

Can I link to your post? Awareness is so important, and the feelings you share can make a difference, I think.

Judy T said...

2 summers ago, we drove through Western Kansas on our way back from a vacation with my sister in Colorado. We passed by the miles and miles of cattle feed lots. We had already been making a slow change but that was really the deciding factor in a lot of the changes we have been making in our food. I have been much more deliberate about where I buy from and how they treat their animals. I feel fortunate that I live where I have choices.

Chili said...

Livinginalocalzone - yes, you are welcome to link and yes, we have small egg operations (backyard, AND a certified organic!) AND two wonderful jersey cows that roam free in their field and produce the aboslute best milk in the world. There's also several grass-fed beef farms. I'm very fortunate to have the choices - just like full freezer. But it still hurts like hell when I go by the chicken houses. I cry every time.