The Backyard

The Backyard

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Countdown to the Sustainable Food Budget Challenge

On Wednesday, April 1, the Sustainable food Budget Challenge begins. For the entire month of April, the “challenge” will be to stay within public assistance budget numbers -- $176.00 for an individual – while keeping the food local and/or organic. That’s the challenge – can we eat organically or sustainably on a budget. Most folks complain about the prices of organics, but I’m out to prove them wrong – especially my husband. Local isn’t much of a factor for me at the moment living in a cold climate, and not eating meat or dairy products. Eggs, honey, dandelion, spinach, apples/applesauce, spelt flour, and maple syrup are about the only local products I’ll include that are available right now. I’m complicating the challenge a bit more by mixing in the nutritional factor. Since I had more notice than the day before (actually, I went into the Eat Local Challenge 4 days after it started), I’ve been planning, making spreadsheets to track the dollars spent, and generally thinking about how to go about this (planning the menus is a big factor) and I feel confident it 1) can be done and 2) be done with good, nutritious food. Organic lentils are only $3.69 a lb! How much cheaper and nutritious can you get than lentils, and a pound goes a long way – at least 8 meals. My dear hubby is doing his own challenge since we eat differently.

No comments: