The Backyard

The Backyard

Saturday, March 28, 2009

My Garden Helper


My dear husband isn't a big fan of helping in the garden, but there ARE a couple things he likes to do -- like running the rototiller and putting the fence up for me. I think he does the fence 'cause I never get it straight and it makes him crazy. There was an uneven side to the garden, so we rototilled it to even things up. and last fall, I decided to "join" the grape arbor and the main garden to eliminate mowing a small, odd section of grass between the two. I laid down a thick layer of horse manure and let it rot all winter, killing the grass underneath it in the process - ala 'natural without the aid of any chemicals. This spring, I found the soil rich and moist, with more worms than other areas of the garden. So we rototilled that section too. And with mother nature doing her thing in taking down the grape vines, I now have one hell of big vegetable patch -- its about 70 x 25 feet. Add that to my two adjacent (one on each side of the main garden) 3 x 70 foot raspberry/blueberry/rhubarb/strawberry/asparagus patches, and you have 2,170 square feet of garden -- about the same size as Michelle Obama's white house garden. Nice. I wonder if her staff will come and take care of mine too? That's the hard part -- maintaining it all summer. Beyond the seed planting, is weeding, mulching, composting, staking, harvesting, weeding, mulching, composting, harvesting, etc. etc. until frost in October. I believe my summer activities are already planned for me! It's my almost-daily therapy sessions -- combine that with my weekly therapeutic mountain bike rides, and I have the cure for stress.

No comments: