The Backyard

The Backyard

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Still Harvesting Carrots and Spinach


Spinach, carrots, and radicchio along with numerous other crops were planted in August specifically for winter growing under glass. The plants grew as planned to maturity until the first official freeze about 6 weeks ago. About three weeks ago, I checked on things and thought for sure it was all gone. It was wilted and lying over. I mumbled to hubby that was a failed experiment. Last week, I thought I'd dig up some carrots to see what was there. Low and behold I harvested carrots. And today, I picked a beautiful batch of spinach and the last two heads of radicchio (small, but edible). I was thrilled to say the least. Root crops seem to fair the best, so that's the thought for next year... carrots, beets, turnips, and possibly a couple potatoes or sweet potatoes. It's obvious plants will "appear" dead in sub-freezing temps, but the varieties hardy to winter freezing like spinach and chard will bounce back. This is an interesting experiment I'm sure to attempt again next year.

No comments: