The Backyard

The Backyard

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Red Beet Season

Earlier this year, I planted a respectable patch of beets outside of the main garden in the rose garden.  An area about 30 square feet was seeded for beets.  This area is not fenced in and I discovered rabbits really like beet greens.  Thinking I wouldn't have much of a harvest, I found some space in my main garden and planted two more 20 foot rows.  It turns out, the trimming the rabbits were giving the plants actually encouraged growth and the beets are beautiful.  So in the next few weeks, I'll be pulling and cooking up several pounds of beets from all areas of the backyard.  But this was part of the planned season and I have the world's best recipe for canned pickled beets to make red beet eggs this winter.  The recipe is at one of my old posts on beets, here,  Beet it!

No comments: