The Backyard

The Backyard

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Organic Alternative to fight Weeds

There are few organic weed killers beyond good old fashioned weed pulling. This is not possible in a 400 ft stone driveway. Each year, millions of tiny blades of weeds start poking their heads through the stones and a green tinge covers the driveway. 3 times a summer, I swallowed my pride and ate my hippocratic words and sprayed Round-up on my driveway because I knew of no other way to kill weeds in stones...until this year. I cannot support Monsanto, so after extensive research, I found the alternative is in my cupboard -- VINEGAR. I have tried this with left over pickle juice just to see what happens, and it worked! The weed was dead in a day. The other choice is scalding water and of course good old fashion hoeing (what I do everywhere else but the driveway). So lets hope the local stores have enough vinegar to kill about a gazillion weeds in my driveway this summer. Its actually quite affordable too -- $1.50 per gallon times about 3 gallons per application -- that's $4.50 per month (or so) to kill weeds. I'll keep you posted on my weed patrol this summer.

No comments: