The Backyard

The Backyard

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Canning -- Trendy??

Check this out... a NY Times article about canning! Old becomes new again -- seems like everything repeats itself somewhere along the line. My mother and both grandmothers always canned and I recall shelves and shelves of all kinds of things -- beans, peaches, spaghetti sauce, ketchup, sauerkraut, peas, corn, and of course the favorite of all of us - chow chow. I feel fortunate to have inherited ALL of those two generations worth of jars. We're talking hundreds of jars in all shapes, sizes, and colors. And given the energy inefficiency of a freezer, I opted to can more this season (along with drying) and freeze less; thus, I'm trendy now! I also wanted to focus on my own organic food rather than depending on trying to find it in stores (and wonder if it really is organic or industrial organics). Some of my friends talked about wanting to learn to can -- its actually very easy as you'll read in this article. I always either open kettle (not really recommended) or hot-water bath, although I'm currently taking a class on storing food and will learn more in the next couple weeks about hot-water bath vs pressure cooking. I'll fill you in on what I learn!

No comments: